Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Replace mexitil

Hallo Jan and all you other

My doctor in Denmark has given me the preparation Lamotrigin, which is actually for epilepsy patients, i do not know if it helps because i just startet, it will take at least a month before an effect will be noticeable.
I want to have a child but can read that the preparation can harm unborn child during pregnancy.
Jan, you wrote about the preparation Flecainid, that this can replace mexitil, but i also can read that Flecainid should not be good if i want a child, is it true ?

What medicine can i take that does not harm a pregnancy ?

I miss my mexitil so much :-(

Jan, do you think i can buy mexitil online ( and where? ) and pay cash

Pia

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia congenita Becker

Re: Replace mexitil

Pia,

Some drugs are considered safer than others in pregnancy, but none are without risks. Because MC is a relatively mild disorder (unlike epilepsy for instance) most doctors recommend that the mother stops taking medication during pregnancy. Most are also excreted in breast milk, so you generally should not breastfeed while you are on the medications.

Most women do have worse myotonia during pregancy so it is frustrating to get through all those months if you have been used to using medication to treat the stiffness. You might want to ask your doctor about using the amino acid Taurine during pregnancy. Researchers in Italy are studying it for treating myotonia congenita; it acts similarly to anti-epileptic drugs. And there are studies that indicate that prenatal taurine supplementation helps protect the child from diabetes later in life.

You can also use red pepper flakes to help with really bad days...just chew a few to relieve stiffness. That is safe during pregnancy.

You can order Mexiletine from CanadaDrugs.com. The 200mg strength is about $1 per capsule. You have to have a prescription but they will ship to Europe. Many online pharmacies advertise having Mexitil but I would not trust them to be the genuine medication.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Replace mexitil

Fear Jan
Many thanks for your answer !
You write that i can order mexitil from Canadadrugs.com
Can i trust this is the same mexitil af 200 mg as i could buy in
Denmark ?
You also write about the amino acid Taurin, it
sounds really interesting.
I can buy it in health food stores here in Denmark, i think
I will try it.