Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ritalin

That's wonderful to hear, Jan. Thank you. My Doc asked me to ask my neurologist but I thought I would ask here first. My Dr has seen so few cases of MC. My dose is only 5mg twice a day. So far it's been a small improvement. I'm happy to know there's a chance he can increase dose.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's Variant

Tammy,

I looked up a couple of studies for you that mention Ritalin or Modafinil and Myotonic Dystrophy. If it worsened myotonia then they wouldn't use it for MMD. This is from a December 2011 summary of a congress on MMD published in a Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy newsletter in Quebec:

Ritalin as treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness in the myotonic dystrophy type 1.

The team of the Dr J Puymirat showed the effectiveness of 20 mg / day of Ritalin as treatment of sleepiness. Medicament was well tolerated without major side effects.

Hope these are helpful!

Jan

Methylfenidate Hydrochloride in Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy

Approved and Investigational Uses of Modafinil

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Oh, Jan...I can't thank you enough! This info is wonderful! I am going to print it out and bring to my next appt with my Doctor. Actually print it out for all of my Docs. I'm very excited about this! I would be absolutely lost without this forum! You are so appreciated. And I surly appreciate all of our friends here as well. (((((HUGS))))))

Type of Myotonia: Becker's Variant

Tammy:

Have they investigated the cause of the fatigue and memory loss? Have you had your thyroid, iron levels, and blood counts checked?

If not, it's worth asking them to check them.
You might also consider sleep disturbances.

Type of Myotonia: Becker