Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dystrophic and Non-Dystrophic Differences?

Tammy,

The muscular dystrophies are associated with a degenerative process. The muscles atrophy as the condition progresses. There are nine dystrophies, and one of them is called myotonic muscular dystrophy or MMD.

MMD is often confused with myotonia congenita because of the word myotonic. In MMD the only similarity is the delayed relaxation of the muscles after contraction. The chloride ion channel seems to be affected in the same way as our condition. But MMD is considered a multi-system disorder and as it progresses it affects the heart, GI tract, eyes, etc. This is because the mutation involved also affects smooth muscles, not just skeletal muscles. There is a progressive deterioration of the muscles resulting in weakness.

Symptoms vary widely among people with MMD, so in early stages it may be confused with MC because the EMG looks identical. That's why it's so important to get DNA tests to differentiate between the two. MC can never turn into MMD. They are totally different conditions that happen to share a common symptom.

That's the quick version :-)

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Dystrophic and Non-Dystrophic Differences?

In addition to what Jan said, I wanted to say that Becker MC can involve weakness, much like MMD. The difference is the weakness with MMD can be constant and much more profound. I spoke to some individuals with MMD type II, a while back, which is the more mild form of MMD, and the weakness was much more prevalent to them than the myotonia. Many required the use of ankle and leg braces braces.

I've never heard of anyone with Becker MC with weakness like that. Usually with Becker MC the weakness is episodic and might be an actual weakness or some type of muscle fatigue. I get weak when it gets hot, but it's more of the type of weakness you might feel if you're in bed with the flu and a fever. But I've also had attacks of true weakness where my hands were too weak to properly grip and turn a steering wheel. And then I get muscle fatigue in my upper body where they start to burn.

Type of Myotonia: Becker