Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: which type?

Sorry I meant to put, it was november 2004 and despite having this all my life and having fallen a few times a g.p examinded when I was a kid and said I was lazy and my family said it was in my head, but in november 2004 I was walking home from colledge and I stubbed my foot in a path and my body fell down first to my knees then to my torse and face hitting the pavement for a whole min I couldnt move at all, then once I was able to stand up I was embarres looking at the ppl who saw me fall and I ran and ran because once the stiffness had weaned off thats when my muscles feel like a normal person cause we have to warm up before we attepmt to do stuff, thats when I thought ok I want this problem diagnosed once and for all, but it was a long wait so my mind went crazy with searching the internet thinking is it this is it that will I be in a wheel chair by 30, I read about 50 muscles diseased and was scared stiff, no pun inteded lol but luckyly once month before the E.M.G I did read among the 50 one about thomsens and how the handshake is only slowley released grip so when he did the test and told me to make a fist and then release he said you have what we call thomsens and I felt a relif when he told me it wasnt going to progress because of all the other stuff on the internet I had read I was expecting the worst

Type of Myotonia: Beckers I think

I don't have kids, but as Jan said, if my mutations were strictly recessive I would have to have kids with someone who was a carrier or had MC for them to have it.

If that person had two recessive mutations, all of our kids would have it. If they had one recessive or one dominant mutation, the kid has a 50% chance of getting that mutation from them, and they would get a mutation from me either way. So there would be a 50% chance the kid had it.

Both my parents are carriers so there was a 25% chance they would pass both of them on. I have three siblings and I kind of think my brother might have a latent case but I'm the only one with full blown myotonia.

But things aren't so simple in my family because both of my mutations have been found to be dominant mutations in some families. So even though in my family it seems to be recessive, there's a chance any kids I have could have symptoms even if they only inherited one of the mutations.

That kind of implies to me my mutations are "conditionally dominant" as I like to call it. Meaning if conditions are just right, you will see symptoms with just one mutation, but in most instances the conditions aren't just right and most people will need both of the mutations to have symptoms.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

You can't know if your mother is a carrier of the recessive mutation without a DNA test. It would be really helpful if you could get a copy of your report. Many doctors don't know how to interpret it. If you have Thomsen's, there will just be one identified mutation. If you have Becker's there will be two: they can be two different ones or two copies of the same. The mutation code starts with a letter, then three numbers, then another letter. For instance mine is G230E. I can look the specific mutations up on a database to see if they are associated with Thomsen's or Becker's.

It is not unusual to have very hypertrophied calves and sometimes thighs, but normal upper body. It totally depends on your lifestyle, work, etc. The muscles that are pushed against more frequently are the ones that will respond by overdeveloping. (This is true in weight lifters, too.)

For instance if you live in a home with stairs or have to walk up stairs every day at work or school you're going to have larger muscles in your legs that someone who always walks on one level. If you stack boxes all day at work, you're going to have very large biceps compared to someone who seldom lifts anything but groceries. If you have a baby or toddler that you pick up all the time, that's going to cause the muscles in the arm to adapt by getting larger.

What causes the muscle to enlarge is stressing the muscle to the point that the cells are damaged and spill out their contents (which causes high cpk levels). As the muscle heals it adapts by increasing the muscle fibers that won't "tear" as easily next time. Unfortunately those types of adaptive fibers (called Type IIB) either aren't made or don't survive long in someone with MC, so we constantly are creating and destroying them.

If you learn to wait for the relaxation before you push against the stiff muscle, the hypertrophy will begin to subside over time. But most of us push against that stiffness to appear more normal after getting up out of a chair or walking up stairs, so it keeps the muscles stressed and enlarged.

As far as having children that are affected, that's where you need to get that report. If you have Thomsen's, then there's a 50% chance your children will inherit it. I have three daughters and two have MC. If you have Becker's, then there's almost no chance they will have symptoms unless their mother also happens to have a recessive mutation. This is more common in areas where there is a limited gene pool and people are likely to be distantly related.

Hormones do seem to have an impact on myotonia, and many people get worse from their teens to their 30s. As your hormone levels beging to drop, the myotonia may improve. You also can be affected by your diet, medications, chemicals like pesticides and herbicides and low thyroid. I improved dramatically when I started taking thyroid medication.

Because Prozac contains flourine that can make your myotonia worse. It's also not a good medication for younger people - it can actually cause the symptoms that it is given to relieve. I would definitely ask your doctor about trying lamotrigene since it would help with both anxiety and myotonia. You do have to get off of Prozac very slowly to avoid withdrawal symptoms. It can also cause hypothyroidism, which again, makes myotonia worse. Most doctors have no clue about this sort of thing and how it could affect MC. A safer antidepressant/anti-anxiety drug would probably be Effexor. Tell your doctor it's important that medications are not potassium-based and do not contain fluorine/fluoride. Some allergy medications can increase adrenaline output and make myotonia worse.

Hopefully you can begin to identify any triggers for the myotonia and get the stiffness to a more manageable level.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's