Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Birth after 24

please i heard the probability of having a child after 24 is very low, is that true, and I made the sperms test and they were very low is that normal or what please

Type of Myotonia: conginata

Re: Birth after 24

Low sperm count is not associated with myotonia congenita. However it is common in myotonic muscular dystrophy, so it is very important to make sure you geting the correct diagnosis. DNA testing is the only way to know for sure when you are younger. The symptoms can be very similar. There are other health conditions that can cause low sperm count. This is an article from the Mayo Clinic that discusses the different causes:
Low Sperm Count

A healthy man can father a baby until he is old...even in his 80s.

This is an excerpt from an article on BabyCenter.com about the difference between male and female fertility:

How do men's and women's biological clocks differ?

They are distinctly different. A woman's egg supply is set before birth, declines dramatically even before she's out of the womb, and by the time she reaches menopause, most of her eggs are gone. In addition to that, a woman's left not just with fewer and fewer eggs as she ages, but with a higher concentration of abnormal ones.

On the other hand, a man produces sperm throughout his life. He experiences a slight decline in fertility as he gets older, but his semen doesn't lose its concentration.

So, for men there's no age limit when it comes to fathering children, which is why it's not unusual to see older men with young kids. But for women, age plays a huge factor in the ability to get pregnant.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Birth after 24

thanks so much for your support, i will make that test soon, thanks

Type of Myotonia: Congenita