Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Military

If you have confirmed myotonia congenita with symptoms, then you will not be allowed to serve in the military. It looks like the regulations have changed so that if you just have a positive DNA test but no significant symptoms then you might be able to serve.

The main concern is remote tours that might put you at risk if you needed surgery from combat injuries. Not all hospitals are equipped to deal with the potential complications from anesthesia.

You can always have a recruiter look it up and if it is a subjective decision then go ahead and get the physical. My daughter was an officer in the Air Force, so it is possible.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Kasim:

As far as the US military goes, MC and the military have a funny relation because it's during basic training that it tends to really show...or at least other people really notice it, and this is how many people with MC, especially during WWI and WWII came to be diagnosed.

So military doctors know about it and look for it.

As far as getting into the military with MC, it usually goes something like this. If you can get in, and they find out after you make it through basic training, they usually keep you if the doctor's feel the condition can be sufficiently managed.

If you are found out before or during basic training, there's a good chance you will be discharged.

If they find out you lied about it, you could be in some serious trouble.

The best thing to do if you have medically documented MC, and omitting that or saying you do not would constitute lying, would be to discuss it with the recruiting officer and find out how you would go about getting a medical waiver.

It was my dream to be in the Air Force but I knew that my MC would inhibit me, not so much because of the myotonia itself because the stiffness is now very mild, but the other symptoms. I can't for the life of me sit at attention for more than a few minutes, or launch a basket ball X distance while sitting on my knees, and this "weakness" has gotten worse as I've gotten older. It's kind of silly because I'm a woman and would probably have been assigned to a position I could actually do, but they have their regulations and physical standards and I couldn't meet them.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Hello,
I wanted to thank everyone for their very helpful reply to my question. I am really glad I have found a website like this with people I can relate too. When i first posted that question I was not sure about my options and chose to enroll in school instead. aside from the MC, I also deal with clinical depression which probably stemmed from my childhood dealing with mc. I also did not really have a family to teach me much about discipline and hard work and etc. Anyways, I ended up enrolling at a community college and failed most of my classes. Not because i am stupid but because i was lazy and depressed and etc. I believe the military will help me out a lot plus my medication and counseling. Physically I can play sports, I love sports. I was told when i was younger that I would not be able too play sports or gain a career involving physical activity and that lit a fire under me and I have played soccer, basketball, football, and tennis. Now the military is something I believe will give me the right direction and motivation and organization. I will also have the opportunity to serve this country and also have something to be very proud of. I will update you guys on what happens with the recruiter. Thank you for the help.
Regards,
Kasim Hussein

Type of Myotonia: thompson