Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mexitil effect

Hi, i was on mexitiline for 6 years and i was in a very good manner, and my muscles were stronger and better movement and i was really good, then when no mexitiline i started with flecainide, not good as mexitiline but was good, however it affected my vision sometimes(unclear vision) so i found an iternational pharmacy in Germany (i am now in Germany for my phd studies) and it ordered for me mexitil, but i don't know i am even now worser than when i was on flecainide, I don't know why, and also very bad movement and hand shakings :( i am now on mexitil for a month ago, i heard of Lorazapam, did any one heard about, and do you know really what is the problem with me with mexitil, thanks

Type of Myotonia: Congenita

Re: Mexitil effect

Hi, lorazepam is a benzodiazipam, like Valium e.g they are for anxiety but they have relexing effects on my muscles I took 10 m.g diazipam a week ago and my muscles were less stiff but I dont think any doctor would give you this drug long term to help with myotonia congenita, I thought germany had stopped making mexi, or maybe they just dont ship it to britain anymore they used to earlier this year but my chemist told me they have stopped

Type of Myotonia: I think Beckers

Thanks Martone, no they get it by order from USA Canda or china :( and when you took lorazepam you felt better

in turkey, Prof. Ersin TAN published an article about using mexitiline, as you know, mexitiline is used for arranging the rhtme of heart, so if you use another purpose, according to his article, you have to be under monitering.

Type of Myotonia: congenita

Tremors are a common side effect of Mexitil. Are you on a higher dose than before?

The other medication you can check is Lamictal (lamotrigene). They have that in Germany. It helps with myotonia and it has an anti-anxiety effect like Lorazepam.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thanks Jan, yes yesterday i started with higher dosage and really feels better, but not as good as i was.

Is lamictal a side medicine, i mean i can take it with mexitil