Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prozac aka fluoxetine can it make the myotonia worse?

I saw a report of sertraline helping the myotonia in Paramyotonia Congenita, and I believe several years ago someone emailed me about it helping with stiffness in MC. It doesn't contain any fluorine so it might be worth a try.

OCD and anxiety are often related to a metabolic error. Sometimes correcting that block in metabolism with supplements can be very helpful. Two in particular that I can think of are inositol and Acetyl-L-Carnitine. If you can find a good holistic MD they may be able to do the testing and see if something like that would help.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Prozac aka fluoxetine can it make the myotonia worse?

Martone:

I have a few questions, if you don't mind answering.

First, do you have true clinical OCD or obsessive compulsive traits? OCD is actually a very specific disorder but there are traits that are obsessive compulsive, or perfectionist in nature that are not really OCD but are often called OCD for lack of better label. The upcoming DSM V will have a classification "Obsessive Compulsive or Related Disorders Not Elsewhere Classified" to attempt to resolve this confusion. I would not be surprised if the success rate for CBT is lower in this disorder than it is for OCD, for various reasons.

What did the CBT entail? Did you continue it at home? And when you say it had no effect, do you mean you weren't able to resist the compulsions or you resisted but didn't see any lessening of them?

Also, were you on medication when you started the CBT or any time during it?

With OCD it's generally advisable you do the CBT whether you are on medication or not.

There are numerous medications for OCD. Most of them are SSRIs, a few are tricyclics. I don't know about their effects on muscles but Paxil can cause myoclonic jerks and one of the newer SSRIs is sometimes prescribed for fibromyalgia.

If you do ever try Paxil and it doesn't work or you need to go off of it, be sure not to just stop taking it. It can be physically addicting and the withdrawl can be severe so those wanting to quit it have to be weened off. I don't think any other SSRI has this problem. At least not to such an extreme extent. But some people are helped by it.

Type of Myotonia: Becker