Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pls list here what helped/helps you. it can be medicine or herbs or anything.

the best medicine for me was mexitiline (f you can get it) the other one is flecainide

I also read on the forum about Aceyt-l-carnitine as a plus, but i didn't try it yet

Type of Myotonia: Congenita

Re: Pls list here what helped/helps you. it can be medicine or herbs or anything.

Giselle,

For me it has been diet (see the main website), Acetyl-L-Carnitine, and Licorice Root (powder). I have never taken any medications.

Many people go to holistic MDs or naturopaths who give them a cabinet full of supplements that do no good and in some cases make them worse. Don't waste your money - I've done all the work for you :-)

One year I tried every vitamin and mineral, one at a time. Then I tried individual amino acids. Then I tried several herbs. The two supplements I listed were the only ones that made any significant difference, but several worsened the myotonia.

By far the best results with a medication are from Mexitil. I hear mixed results from flecainide, carbamazapine (Tegretol), phenytoin (Dilantin), acetazolamide (Diamox) and quinine sulfate.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's