Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Myotonia & Fibromyalgia

Gord,

I think it's very possible to have both. One of the causes of fibromyalgia is repetitive injuries. When you consider that with myotonia we injure our own muscles on a daily basis all our lives, it's no surprise that we could develop the symptoms.

It seems to be a decreased tolerance for pain - the brain interprets pain signals at a much higher intensity. There seems to be no actual muscle inflammation or disease process, and it doesn't cause any damage to joints. But it can be incredibly painful and debilitating, and poor sleep is almost always associated with FM.

Usually fibromyalgia is diagnosed by rheumatologists. For years they thought it was psychosomatic but recent research has shown it is a very real condition that does respond to medications that target nerves.

One of my daughters has both MC and fibromyalgia and is in a wheelchair much of the time. I have no fibromyalgia even though I have the same genetic mutation and degree of myotonia. Many other factors seem to influence the onset.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Myotonia & Fibromyalgia

Jan,

Sorry for not getting back sooner. Thanks so much for the reply and the information. Certainly will be something I'll be looking into.

Gord

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens