Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Occupational Therapy

My son is 6 years old and has MC Beckers. He is currently in pre-primary (year before he starts school) and his teacher has suggested we send him to Occupational Therapy for "Crossing the midline".
As we do not want to cause any stress or anxiety for our son, we are trying to assertain whether or not OT is in fact needed or if his MC is part of the reason he is not yet crossing the midline. I have researched various activities i can do with him at home, but would like to have feedback from anyone who could assist.
Thank you
Sharmaine
PS: We are still desperate to find any other MC families in South Africa.

Type of Myotonia: My son has Beckers

Re: Occupational Therapy

Sharmaine,

If you haven't already done so, be sure to print out the letter for school staff on the main website (click on the "return to website" link above). That will help some of the teachers and therapists understand MC better because most tend to try to treat it like a muscular dystrophy.

Hand dominance has nothing to do with MC. If your son needs therapy to help him develop that, then I would consider it, but what I have found is that counselors and teachers try to get them into the special needs classes because the school gets a great deal more money per student. The only accommodation he will need related to MC is activity related like physical education classes. Even then he should not have to be in a special class, just be allowed to judge what he feels like doing because the degree of stiffness can vary from day to day.

There are no developmental or learning difficulties related to MC, however in the general public it is fairly common so it would not be unusual for a child with MC to have both. I just hate to see kids with MC get labeled at a young age and not try things because of the attitudes of the teachers and coaches.

This is a very good website on how to help your children develop hand dominance to help with learning:

Crossing the Midline Activities
from O.T. Mom.

I think we may have one other family from SA on the forum. Hopefully they will see your post.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Occupational Therapy

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for the feedback. Glad to know i was on the right wavelength as i have already started OT with my son as per the website you quoted.

Kind regards
Sharmaine