Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
just starting with mexitil, quedtions.

Hi, just startedwith mexitil (laying in the hospitalbed atm just taken the first pill) and I have a question about using Mexitil, regarding let's say when you are eating dinner and don't have a glass of water or milk to drink but you have something else. Is that "safe" in small amounts? Is it very optional regarding to the person that takes the medicin etc?

Second question, can I not take the medicin for one day for example and just take it as usual the next day?

Reason I'm asking is because the doctor doesn't have all the answers, he have more of pointers and recommended tips etc

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Re: just starting with mexitil, quedtions.

Rick,

This is what the manufacturer's product insert says:

While you are taking MEXITIL

Things to be careful of

Avoid consuming alcohol while taking MEXITIL. In case of doubt, seek medical advice prior to taking this medicine.

Effects on ability to drive or operate machinery
Be careful driving or operating machinery until you know how MEXITIL affects you.

MEXITIL may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Make sure you know how you react to MEXITIL before you drive a car, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are dizzy or drowsy. If you drink alcohol, dizziness or drowsiness may be worse.

There are a lot of possible drug interactions. Here's a list you might want to read:

Mexitil and Drug Interactions

Hope that helps!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Hi,

I also has some questions that I don´t find any answers to, I have felt for some days i tickeling feeling in the left arm and som cramp-like syndrome near the heart but more over the hole chest, often when I have eaten.

Something to consider or just part of the Mexitil that is adjusting to the body and other way around.

And then the second question above, can I skip one day ore just one pill and still be OK or...?

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Mark,

Ask your pharmacist about missing a dose. Generally it's not recommended, but some people only take Mexitil a few times a week when they know they will need their muscles to be looser (like playing a soccer game).

The cramping sensation you feel may be your esophagus contracting. If you have a hiatal hernia it is very common for the sensation to radiate through the chest.

But since Mexitil is a heart medication I would be sure to mention it to your neurologist (better yet a cardiologist) and see if that feeling in your left arm is from your heart or something else.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's