Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Muscle pain in thighs that is continuous burning and churning sensation

It started at 5 years old was diagnosed at age 74.
found by accident after complaining about loosing sleep with legs. At that time they diagnosed me with RLS also (1998) Have been treated for that since with no satisfactory outcome. Could my problem with legs be due to the Myotonia never letting up and the muscles never relaxing. I am OK when moving and busy but I am 87 and have to sit also. I get the myotonic spasms easily if not careful. I was on
mexiletine but advised to get off because it interfered with ropinirole which was for RLS. I am now off everything and hurting.I have had a great life but would like to end on a high note. Thank You

Type of Myotonia: Myotonia Congenita Becker Type

Re: Muscle pain in thighs that is continuous burning and churning sensation

David,

Sorry I missed your post until now. Are you taking any medication for cholesterol? That will make our myotonia much worse and can cause leg cramping in normal people.

I would suggest trying a little magnesium every night before you go to bed. The best form is magnesium citrate. You can usually find this at a health food store or pharmacy. 250-500 mg is usually plenty.

Ropinirole is usually given for Parkinson's or RLS and works by increasing dopamine levels. Unless you have a dopamine deficiency then your leg issues are probably not RLS but myotonia related. It seems like the doctor would have dropped the Ropinirole and kept you on Mexitil instead, but I don't know your medical history. Magnesium deficiencies are very common as we age...hopefully that will help.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's