Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
myotonia

hello i am stevie and i am nine years old i suffer from myotonia congentia and i would like to meet other children around the world who also have this condition. i live in australia, i started suffering from myotonia when i started to walk my mum noticed that i was stiff she took to the doctor and he diagnosed me. i have a very happy life and everyone is born with something.

Type of Myotonia: thomsons

Re: myotonia

Welcome Stevie! I love your outlook :-) There are many things much worse than MC.

I started having symptoms when I was about your age. We didn't know what was wrong until I was in my 20s. I just compensated and did most of the things I wanted to anyway. I loved roller skating, horseback riding, swimming (lifeguard), bike riding and music (band and choir).

You might want to reply to Violet's message from a few days ago (Titled "Heyy"). She's 12 and looking for someone to talk to with MC.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: myotonia

Hi Stevie:

Unfortunately, I'm not not 9 anymore...I'm an adult now, but when I was 9 or 10 I started to have really bad myotonia. I see you have Thomsen Myotonia Congenita, the dominant form of the disorder. Does anyone else in your family have it? I have Becker myotonia congenita, the recessive form, so I'm pretty much the only one in my family with it and I've never met another person with any kind of myotonia in real life.

I can't think of anyone off hand, but I'm sure some of the members here with Thomsen MC probably have a kid about your age who also has Thomsen MC.

Do you play any sports?

When I was your age I used to be interested in playing a lot of different sports but I couldn't move well enough to participate in most of them. I did karate for a while though believe it or not.

Type of Myotonia: Becker