Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Visual Disturbances

So much to learn & cope with this condition. I have now been referred to an opthamologist to check what is going on. They say it could be the MC or something else. The eye test was different he had to hold one of the lids open wider so that he could see the eye properly. The optometrist said the results were like my eyes were from 2 different people. I wish when they diagnose you with MC that they would explain what could happen, I was given so little info. This site is so good for info.

Type of Myotonia: unknown

Sadly Anne, the medical professionals know so very little about MC!

Fortunately we do have this site to learn from and ask questions.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Anne, I don't have as much trouble with visual issues these days because my myotonia has improved so much, but my daughter and I both found that using hot peppers in some form stopped the tugging in the ocular muscle that affected our vision. This can be hot peppers like jalapenos, salsa, red pepper sauce (we have Tabasco in the US), or even chewing red pepper flakes.

The other day my condo complex sprayed the grounds with 2,4-D, a common herbicide that can cause myotonia in normal people. For us it can cause a major reaction. Since then I have had a lot of problems with focusing. This is added to most lawn fertilizers that are of the "weed and feed" variety.

The other thing that can make us much worse is statin drugs for cholesterol. Both statin drugs and 2,4-D can permanently affect the chloride ion channel.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thank you for the advice. Yesterday I finally saw the Dr and he said that he thinks it is MC so it may come & go just like anywhere else in the body. He will contact my neurologist and do some research and see me again in a month.

Type of Myotonia: unknown