Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Could it be possible?

Hey there,

Long story short: ive tried everything, and always fall short, my symptoms are hard to manage. Best ive done is with Diamox, but it has nasty side effects for me so i take half pills almost never these days, only urgent stuff.

Now, i got a very bad cold the other day, so the doctor gave me a list of meds to take, i took them all, and guess what, after sleeping, i woke up RENEWED... it was like my muscles (which always are a bit stiff) were 0% free of myotonia... felt like my joints were oiled or something, my hands seem faster and lighter

id really want to know what caused this, if anyone can help to guess what did the trick

this is what im taking:

-clarithromycin
-Paracetamol (+clorphenamine)
-ammonium chloride (cough syrup (?))
-ambroxol chlorhydrate (same as above)

i have a heavy feeling it was ambroxol, but id like to know second opinions, and if this could harm me if i take it daily

btw, i NEVER felt like this, its not like when one is feeling "ok", its like new muscles

oh and i feel dizzy the first hour of taking it too

thanks a lot, cheers

Type of Myotonia: Paramyotonia Congenita

Re: Could it be possible?

I suspect it is the Ambroxol that is helping. It can cause potassium loss and since you responded to Diamox, this would have a similar effect.

The dizziness is probably from chlorphenamine. Once you get better, you might ask your doctor about trying a trial of Ambroxol by itself.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's