Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Finally

Hi Jan,
I'm finally getting some help. I got to see the doctor at MDA that took an interest in my case a few months ago. She hadn't been there the last two times I went and I thought she was gone for good. Anyway she spent at least 45 minutes to an hour questioning me about eve4rything that has been happening. She is testing for the neuromyotonia and has also agreed to try and get my insurance to pay for the dna testing I need. She actually saw the weakness, un-coordination, and stiffness I've been trying to get the other doctor to take seriously. She gave me a prescription for baclofen and already I can see it making a difference in my stiffness and soreness. I've postponed my visit to the new neurologist my gp refered me to long enough to let the test results have time to get back. I've looked and read a lot about Isaac's lately and I too think this is more where I fit in. Since all these new symptoms have popped up for me, reading over some of the symptoms described by others diagnosed with Isaac's is almost like something I've written about myself. Just for curiosity sake, do you know how rare this is in the USA? I haven't found any statistics in my research. Thank you for being there for me. You've been more help and support than you will ever know. I'm sure I'm not the only person that thinks this way. I'll let you know what I find out ASAP. Thanks again.
Teresa

Type of Myotonia: still unknown

Re: Finally

I'm SO glad you finally got a good doctor who listens and observes! You have suffered for so many years and I'm hoping you'll be able to find a treatment to help. That's great that the baclofen is already giving you some relief.

I can't find any statistics on Isaac's Syndrome, either. It must be pretty rare. There are some similar conditions but from what you describe, it does seem to match.

I look forward to your update!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Finally

Hi Jan,
As I said the doctor is trying me on baclofen. I can actually feel as the medication goes to work with my muscles relaxing somewhat. I am only on a very low dose and plan on staying on as low a dose as I can possibly get relief. My thoughts are: I have done research and have not found any evidence baclofen is effective for myotonia congenita. Therefore I feel a diagnosis of Isaac's is going to be correct. What are your thoughts?
Teresa