Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Crashed

I've never driven because my symptoms are so severe so I can't talk about your experience other than to say glad that everyone, yourself included, were fine after the accident.

If you are worried about driving perhaps you can see if there are any drvier aids out there to help you out?

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Stu:

Sorry to hear about your experience. I've been in a few car accidents, but never because of the MC, and I was only driving in one of them. In at lest two of them, the driver commented to me "Don't worry, I'm a safe driver" before we got in the car.

What caused you the moment of anxiety?

One of the reasons I've never been in an car accident due to MC is because I can usually tell when I'm going to have problems by a sensation I get in my muscles, but I've only heard of one other person with myotonia who seems to get this sensation. It really makes me just not want to drive at all when I have it. It's that uncomfortable.

I've been hesitant to drive lately, not because I feel I can lock up much at the moment...I might stiffen a little but I don't think I'll have rigid paralysis, but I'm hesitant to drive because I dread the affects of adrenaline on my muscles even when they aren't locking up very badly. When someone pulls out in front of me unexpectedly or cuts me off, that adrenaline hits my muscles like a brick wall. It's like a bad reaction to being injected with an intravenous medication, and I feel really sore, weak and stiff for about three days after that. It's very hard on my body. It's also very difficult to get people I'm riding with to understand that their driving style can be physically taxing to me if they speed, tailgate, and so on.

Needless to say, anxiety and big adrenaline doses are not our friends! Maybe you should consider the medication if you aren't on any. It's really the anxiety that's going to be your biggest obstacle. The more anxious you are, the worse the myotonia gets, and the worse the myotonia gets, the more anxious you get, and then you're right, you won't be able to drive. But if you're on medication, even if it just lessens the myotonia a little it might also give you more confidence and reduce your anxiety, which will reduce the myotonia more, etc.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

This is one of the reasons, why i'm not sure, if i will ever have a driver license...i really want it, but i dont want to put on risk myself and other people around me...

Type of Myotonia: unknown