Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Biking

I had an incident while riding in a national park. My wife and I were riding for about 20-30 minutes and we saw a deer off in the woods and stopped to watch it for a few minutes. When we started back up I started the bike rolling and tried to get my other foot on the pedal and froze up like a bowling pin and went over. A little road rash on my arm and thigh and some bruising from the frame of the bike but nothing too major.
My wife on the other hand freaked out, she had never seen me completely freeze up like that before... she thought I had a stroke or something. this was a couple years before I was diagnosed so she was used to the stiffness but had never seen it like that.
I do still like to ride but now I make sure if I stop for more than a few seconds I get off the bike so can keep moving and stay loose.

Type of Myotonia: waiting for the blood test

Thank you both for your replies. I ended up renting a bike for a week and found that it really wasn't as bad as I was worrying it might be. :) I'll probably end up buying one.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

Jeff, I always wear a biking helmet and gloves when I ride. Probably an elbow protector would be a good idea, too.

It is possible to condition yourself to have a lesser adrenaline response to everything from tripping to falls or even a car honking unexpectedly. You have to have a good biofeedback instructor who will challenge you while you're hooked up to the monitors with loud noises or other triggers. I would avoid caffeine any time you're going biking since that will make you react more strongly.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Balance was never a problem. Unfortunately, I have one muscle that won't relax enough to allow me to bike without pain and risk of further damage.

I do a lot of stair-climbing machine exercise. (Self-paced kind.) This is the easiest on my joints.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's