Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Exercise Routines

Interesting info on the myotonic dystrophy. Never thought about having more than 1 thing going on.
My Dr. took a biopsy of the thigh muscle and said that there was scar tissue instead of regenerating cells in that sample. So he thought that the muscle just dies when torn instead of building back up. So he warned me not to do too much exercise.
But after not exercising the last few years, (since being retired I don't get the work out like when I was a letter carrier) I can see a dramatic muscle loss. There can't be any more loss than this, so I might as well try working out slowly, as you suggested.
Today is a new day and I am going for it! I really appreciate your help, Jenna. Have a great day and take care!

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Sue:

Was your final diagnosis made by genetic testing?

I don't know what scar tissue in a muscle biopsy would indicate. I had a biopsy which came back normal, but I did insist they take it from my leg where I had more myotonia, rather than my arm, where I have more weakness....I didn't want to lose my precious arm muscle :-) In my legs, I had plenty to spare.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

>I have a bit of an aversion to doing any weights with my legs because I'm worried increased strength/muscle will mean increased myotonia, and I don't want to lose the mobility I have.

My legs hurt the least when I was doing the most serious body-building-type lower body weights.

Like you, I have less strength and less pain in my upper body, both.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Stretching does NOT help MC contractions, in my experience, and can actually worsen them. You have to force the muscle to shorten, relieve the cramp, and then stretch the uncramped muscle. Stretching the cramped muscle will make it cramp harder.

That said, EXERCISE is the best thing you can do for the condition! The size of your muscles is NOT associated with the severity of symptoms. Hypertrophy is in itself harmless. Exercise moderately every day, and you will be in the least pain.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's