Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mastectomy

Hi,
The doctor is happy with the incision, and yes every-one concerned new about the M/C.
Think the pain is just the way my muscle's react, i was told because of the myotonia i could have more pain and longer than those without M/C.
Have to see the Dr tomorrow, so will discuss it with him again.
Not that concerned about how i'm feeling, i'm sure it's all normal.
Interested to hear how other's have been after surgery.
Will find out tomorrow if i'm cancer free.
Thanks for your input....
Louise

Re: Mastectomy

I've only had one surgery where they've used general anesthesia and thankfully it was uneventful....I didn't know I had MC at the time and could have a bad reaction to some of the medications. I felt fine afterwards.

However sometimes I have an issue with the epinephrine in the anesthetic at the dentist. It tends to make me shaky and I prefer to avoid it but dentist prefer to use it because it makes the anesthetic last longer. I had one dentist who insisted on using it arguing that it was an incredibly small amount "less than your body produces". Yes, it is an incredibly small amount. It really is a very incredibly small amount. But I have enough of a problem with the adrenaline/epinephrine my own body produces and I was having stiffness in my jaw that day anyway because it was cold and so after she injected the stuff into my jaw and it was just enough more of the epinephrine that one side locked up and I couldn't relax my jaw for about 3 hours. I pretty much pulverized my jaw muscles on that side and I had some serious swelling the next day.

If you were particularly tense before the surgery that could make you sore.

Type of Myotonia: Becker