Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
grandson

Hi everyone.Does anyone know how mc starts out in a 2 year old. My grandson has just started tripping. shacky and standing with legs spread wider than normal. Arms are a little shaky too. Has been to childrens hosp. twice for 3 days and put though many tests with mri and nothing has been found. could mc be possible. Before this started he had no problems. He has not had test for mc yet.. My son does not have mc. Could it skip a generation. any help please craig

Type of Myotonia: thomsens

Re: grandson

Craig,

MC often shows up in toddlers. There is not usually shakiness, but definitely stiffness when they try to walk after getting out of a chair or trying to go up stairs. The muscles usually begin to hypertropy a bit and they start looking like miniature bodybuilders.

Depending on the mutation that runs in your family, it can seem to skip a generation, but your son may have the mutation and just never developed the symptoms. Thomsen's runs in my family and my mom had no symptoms at all, but her EMG was positive for myotonia. It's tough to do an EMG on a toddler. If they do that before a DNA test, then I would request that they just do an insertion in one place, like the calf. They don't need to poke all over and terrorize him! I have found that physiatrists are much better at EMGs than neurologists. They haven't had the compassion schooled out of them :-) Since you already have confirmed MC your son should be able to get your grandson into an MDA clinic at a children's hospital where they can order the DNA testing.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: grandson

I am a 50 year old father first diagnosed with thompson disorder at the age of 15,no other family members have My disease,my older 2 children show no signs,but but it has been said by others My 21 month old daughter walks like Me she has very good muscle tone as i have always had and is very strong,as my other children,I myself have always had weakness along with stiffness when idle and not warmed up, every since i was 5-years of age, alot has changed with genetic counsling and they say I have autosomol recessive MC,any food or drink with Potassium really worsens My MC.

Type of Myotonia: mc