Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Maligmant hyperthermia

After further study, I came across the muscle relaxing drug Dantrolene sodium for the treatment of Maligmant Hyperthermia,is there anyone else who have had to have the drug administerd during surgery to prevent complications with MC?

Type of Myotonia: mc

Re: Maligmant hyperthermia

Dantrolene is administered during a malignant hyperthermia crisis and is sometimes used as a medication for certain diseases, but it is not routinely given to someone with MC before surgery. It has some hefty side effects including the potential for liver damage, and the liver is already compromised by anesthesia.

It's much better for the anesthesia team to follow the proper protocol in the first place so that it's never needed. We don't have true MH, just a similar reaction to depolarizing agents and possibly certain inhalation gases. We are much more likely to have cardiac arrest during surgery than MH. The problem is the rising levels of potassium from the depolarizing agents (mainly succinylcholine).

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Maligmant hyperthermia

I mix me in the discussion. A short time ago, my mother had a large blood clot in the leg and had to undergo surgery in the middle of the night. I have Thomsen and my mother had a DNA sample submitted but did not know the outcome yet. I contacted the hospital and told that there was a risk that there were things she could not tolerate. It was immediately examined the thing she could not tolerate. Have later talked to two anesthesia doctors and both have told me that there is no danger. Since they are no longer using the products more that could be a risk for here.DNA test has shown that my mother did not have Thomsen disease.
CAn there be such a great difference between USA and Europe ?

Kjeld

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen