Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flu Shot

I get the flu shot every year. I just got the 2012 flu shot on Monday. This years "flavor" really didn't cause any pain at the injection site in the muscle like some years have. It caused me to be pretty tired for several days but I'm fine now. Its getting colder in Missouri and the Myotonia is off the chart now. Stuart

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I usually don't have much in the way of symptoms after I get a flu shot, other than a sore arm and maybe some malaise that evening. I have to wonder if it's possible for the immune system to completely ignore these things because when I do get the flu, I get slammed. I relapse, I get secondary infections and it takes me months to recover.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

When I was in my 20's (I'm in my 60's now), I had a flu shot that gave me tingling in my legs. I think they were having a problem with the flu shots back then causing paralysis in some people. Since then I have not had a flu shot, and my doctor said that MC is as close to Guillain Barr as one can get. Hmmm. Because of how bad the flu is this year, I'm considering getting the shot. Jenna, when I get the flu, I get slammed too. Jan, I think you may have addressed this with me before, but I can't remember! Thank you for any input. I know that any shot is always a risk.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Mary, you should never get a flu shot once you've had Guillain-Barre symptoms. I can't get it because I've had a similar condition caused by West Nile Virus.

Myotonia Congenita is nothing like Guillain-Barre (MS is much more similar). There is no demyelination with MC.

This is a page from a law firm that handles Guillain-Barre cases related to flu vaccines. It shows how relatively common it is and gives some information about symptoms.

Guillain-Barre and Flu Vaccines

For the past 20 years I have used a homeopathic product called Oscillococcinum made by Boiron to prevent the flu. Even though I have been exposed many times, I have never had symptoms while using this every week through flu season. I use about 1/4 tube at a time. If I know I've been exposed, then I take 1/4 tube every day for a few weeks. You can buy it at any health food store and in many grocery stores and pharmacies.

Oscillococcinum

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's