Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blog site

Looks good, Jim! I'm glad there are other groups and blogs out there to help raise awareness. I wish we could reach more doctors but I doubt they bother to do searches.

Maybe it's because I'm a farm girl, but I've never minded having a mascot. I find that people tend to be much more sympathetic toward animals that are suffering than they are toward people. Sometimes it helps them identify better with what we experience. Even though people laugh at the fainting goats I constantly see them asking, "Doesn't it hurt?" The owners always say, "Oh no, it doesn't hurt at all." I'd like to see them fall down over and over and keep jumping up as if nothing happened. I actually communicate with Tennessee Meat Goat owners and encourage them to use their animals to help educate people about the human version of MC. I think they feel guilty because they startle the goats on purpose all the time to get them to fall and entertain visitors.

Thanks for getting the word out about our condition. Your videos have been a great educational tool.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Blog site

Thanks Jan! I appreciate your comments and encouragement. I know some people do not like to be associated with fainting goats, but I find it ironic that more people know about fainting goats then they do people with MC. I want to help to end that.

I hope to do through the blog what a video is unable to do and that is to promote the positive result of having something like MC that makes us truly unique individuals. Being unique is an advantage in life, but the world tells us to be ashamed of the fact that we are different, so as a result we do not utilize this advantage to its full potential. Instead we focus in a negative way on how we are different from everybody else.

I guess what I am trying to promote is making lemons into lemonade.

I also wanted to comment on the blogs, videos and the Facebook page out there. It is a tribute to you Jan that it all grew out of this site. I know this site helped me to get the courage to shoot the first video, since you basically told me to go shoot one the first time you found out I have a film degree. Thank you for that.

Regarding reaching more doctors, I exchange emails with Christopher Lossin from time to time, and I asked him the same question. He seemed to think the only way to get more doctors to educate themselves about MC is to write scholarly articles. I'm sure there are some people on this site who could contribute in that area.

Type of Myotonia: thomsens