Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mexiletine and flecainide

I take 1 x 50mg capsule twice a day. As flecainide is a drug designed to treat heart arrythmia I have regular checks to make sure that I am not suffering any damage to my heart.

I find life easier using it, not perfect but certainly more manageable.

I had to wait awhile before starting the flecainide after the last of the Mexitil, my doctor wanted to make sure that it was out of my system so that there was no conflict between the two drugs.

One other point, I have no doubt that you have considered this but buying drugs from sources that you might not be able to check could prove dangerous, there are counterfeit medicines out there and taking something that looks like Mexitil but is not could prove very dangerous. Please be careful.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Hello Peter

Thanks. Also for the friendly warning. Don't worry, much as my desire to get mexiletine may be, I'll take care to not end up being taken for a ride.
Worse comes to worse, I think I can manage without medication though that will have its inconveniences. Did so for many years between the early 1980s and 2000. I'm pretty sure you must have as well.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Yes, I had a long spell inbetween finishing Mexitil and starting Flecainide when my MC symptoms came back with a vengeance. They are pretty bad anyway when I don't ahve any medical intervention but even though I had a controlled withdrawal of the Mexitil I felt awful for several days.

I hoep you get something sorted soon Anil.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's