Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diabeties and Myotonia

Hi, late last year I got type 1 diabeties and since then ive had to use a cane and sometimes a wheelchair to get around because the Myotonia has got so bad to the point where i can hardly move, I just wanna know if anyone else has shared the same experience and if there is any relationship between the two conditions?

Type of Myotonia: Thompsons

Re: Diabeties and Myotonia

Stu,

Many people with diabetes get much worse when they start using insulin. I know it's important to control the blood sugar, but it also affects the potassium shift in the cells and that's what makes us worse. If you're on a drug to stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin it can have a similar effect.

And usually when doctors treat diabetes, they also treat the high cholesterol/triglycerides that go along with it, and all the statin drugs are contraindcted with myotonia congenita. Two people in my family who had the mutation for MC but had no symptoms suddenly had problems when they were put on cholestrerol medication.

If you have high triglycerides it is much safer for us to use fish oil supplements, L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid to lower the levels. I'll paste in a list of contraindicated medications which includes the trade names for the statin drugs.

Jan

Contraindicated Medications:

Statin Trade Name

Advicor
Altocor
Altoprev
Atorlip
Baycol
Caduet
Canef
Crestor
Inegy