Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sodium

I have always craved sodium"especially after a hot workout" sodium lines are always present on my warn shirt,I often feel better when I replace my lost water and sodium with bufferd salt tablets from the local pharmecy ,now unfortunatly my nutritionlist warned Me to avoid salt" because it will pull calcium into the blood and make My kidneystones worse?

Type of Myotonia: MC

Re: sodium

I have a fairly high sodium diet, too. I don't have any problems with blood pressure and I get a LOT of calcium in my diet. Sweating from heat or workouts does cause a significant loss of sodium and when the potassium and sodium electrolytes are out of balance, myotonia can worsen.

Here's a good section from an article on the Cleveland Clinic's website about kidney stones.

Jan

How can you prevent kidney stones?

Drink more liquids: Drinking 8-10 glasses of liquid each day helps to keep the urine dilute – which reduces the concentration of stone forming minerals in the urine At least half of the liquid should be water; the other liquids could be any beverages you like.

Reduce the amount of salt you eat: Reducing the salt (sodium) in the diet helps to reduce the amount of calcium in the urine which in turn reduces the tendency for calcium stone formation. Dietary salt reduction is best accomplished by not adding salt to your food and by avoiding those high sodium foods such as processed meats, salty convenience foods (regular, boxed or canned soups, noodle or rice mixes) and salty snacks.

Be sure your diet contains adequate amounts of calcium: Several years ago it was believed that dietary calcium should be restricted in patients with calcium kidney stones. At least two scientific studies now show that the inclusion of at least two servings of high calcium foods per day in the diet actually reduces the rate at which calcium-containing kidney stones form.

Avoid those foods which can increase the amount of oxalate or uric acid in the urine: The following foods should be avoided: chocolate, anchovies, rhubarb, caviar, greens, herring, berries, scallops, peanuts, mussels, asparagus, organ meats (liver, kidneys, brains), tea, meat, extracts, broth, bouillon, consomme.

Medications: These should only be prescribed by your physician after the cause for your kidney stones is determined. ◦Hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic which is very effective in reducing calcium in the urine and preventing kidney stones

◦Sodium bicarbonate taken orally makes the urine less acidic and more alkaline. In turn, this decreases the amount of uric acid and cystine in the urine

◦Penicillamine and/or captopril: These two drugs have been found useful in reducing the excretion of cystine in patients who have this as the cause for their kidney stones

◦Antibiotics: In those patients who have struvite (infection) stones, preventing or controlling urinary infection is mandatory to prevent the recurrence of stones

◦Allopurinol reduces the amount of uric acid excretion

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: sodium

It might make kidney stones worse, but it's GOOD for MC.

Everyone with MC in my family craves salt. No one without it does.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's