Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just discovered.

Courtney:

There are a few reasons you might want to consider getting a formal diagnosis.

1. There are different disorders that cause myotonia and some of them have more treatment options than others. Knowing what type will help you customize treatment.

2. There are disorders that can have symptoms that mimic myotonia that are often treatable and should not be ignored. For example, thyroid problems/neuromyotonia.

3. You might have to answer for your symptoms someday, for example, on the job, and saying "Sometimes my muscles get stiff" is not covered by the ADA.

4. As Jan said, people with myotonia causing disorders can often have certain life threatening reactions to certain medications.

Your doctor can easily confirm the presence of true myotonia or neuromyotonia by doing an EMG. All you have to do is request to see a neurologist, tell them you think you have myotonia, and request they do an EMG. It should pick up the myotonia most of the time, however there might be some occasions where it does not. Make sure they check multiple muscles and if they don't find anything, have them cool them and check again.

Of course the downside is it might make your health insurance more expensive if you lose coverage for whatever reason and have to apply again in the future.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Jenna, several years ago I worked with the CDC to change the coding for myotonia congenita so that it was no longer classified with the dystrophies. Before that, insurance rates were raised for someone with MC, but now they are not because it is not considered a progressive or life-threatening condition. (In life insurance actuarials it was never considered a negative.) If an insurance company does try to raise the rates because of the diagnosis, it can be appealed.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Great information from the both of you. Thank you so much.

Courtney, I feel so bad for you. So, many of us feel your pain personally. Reading what you wrote made me cry. I too, experienced what you did so many times. xoxo Welcome here. I hope we can help ease some of your concerns. Jan and Jenna are so knowledgeable. As are many people here. Again, welcome to your new "Home". We are all family here. :)

Type of Myotonia: Becker's MC

Thank you Tammy I can't wait to get a true answer

Jan:

And I deeply thank you for that! I would still not be surprised if some insurance companies tried to charge increased premiums to people who have MC though, just because those companies can be so underhanded. At least mine is. They tried to raise premiums across the board by 30% in one go, and gave some false justification that didn't pan out when the state called them on it. When I originally applied for insurance though I hadn't been genetically typed, and so I think I just put "muscle cramps" or something like that, and wrote that I managed it with lifestyle.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Awesome! I haven't had genetic testing to avoid having this official label because of insurance problems, but now I'll get it to ID my mutation so the kids can be tested to see if they are carriers.

I was the world's slowest kid at those Indian-style relays--all relays, actually-my muscle response rate is NEVER good, but from a dead start, it just wasn't happening! I'm clumsy, and probably my muscles are part of the reason. But with relays, I had to wait relaxed, not tense, and by the time I could get started, another kid at the same place had a 5-6 lead, at least. No one was ever mean to be about being on their team, but I SUCKED. :P