Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just discovered.

Great information from the both of you. Thank you so much.

Courtney, I feel so bad for you. So, many of us feel your pain personally. Reading what you wrote made me cry. I too, experienced what you did so many times. xoxo Welcome here. I hope we can help ease some of your concerns. Jan and Jenna are so knowledgeable. As are many people here. Again, welcome to your new "Home". We are all family here. :)

Type of Myotonia: Becker's MC

Thank you Tammy I can't wait to get a true answer

Jan:

And I deeply thank you for that! I would still not be surprised if some insurance companies tried to charge increased premiums to people who have MC though, just because those companies can be so underhanded. At least mine is. They tried to raise premiums across the board by 30% in one go, and gave some false justification that didn't pan out when the state called them on it. When I originally applied for insurance though I hadn't been genetically typed, and so I think I just put "muscle cramps" or something like that, and wrote that I managed it with lifestyle.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Awesome! I haven't had genetic testing to avoid having this official label because of insurance problems, but now I'll get it to ID my mutation so the kids can be tested to see if they are carriers.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I was the world's slowest kid at those Indian-style relays--all relays, actually-my muscle response rate is NEVER good, but from a dead start, it just wasn't happening! I'm clumsy, and probably my muscles are part of the reason. But with relays, I had to wait relaxed, not tense, and by the time I could get started, another kid at the same place had a 5-6 lead, at least. No one was ever mean to be about being on their team, but I SUCKED. :P

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's