Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mexiletine No Longer Effective

There is a researcher in Italy, Dr. Diana Conte Camerino, who has corresponded with me about taurine and myotonia. This is an abstract from one of her older papers:

The effects of taurine on pharmacologically induced myotonia.

Conte Camerino D, De Luca A, Mambrini M, Ferrannini E, Franconi F, Giotti A, Bryant SH.

Source

Dipartimento Farmacobiologico, Facoltà di Farmacia, Università di Bari, Italy.

Abstract

Taurine reduces the excitability of striated muscle fibers by increasing the membrane conductance to chloride ions (GCl). This action was tested on rats made myotonic by drugs that block GCl by different mechanisms. Experiments were made "in vivo" using electromyographic (EMG) recordings and "in vitro" with intracellular microelectrode recordings from extensor digitorum longus muscle fibers. Taurine did not antagonize the myotonic discharges produced in vivo by anthracene-9-carboxylic acid, nor did it restore GCl lowered in vitro by this agent. However, when myotonia was chronically induced by 20,25 diazacholesterol, taurine given chronically in vivo or acutely in vitro antagonized the EMG myotonia as well as the reduced GCl and increased excitability of single fibers. We conclude that taurine acts directly on chloride channels to modify their kinetics. Our findings suggest that further clinical studies on the use of taurine in muscle disease involving abnormal excitability or chloride channel function will be useful.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thank you!

No clue about drugs, but do weight-bearing exercises before trying cardio. It's way more effective at loosening up muscles. And make sure that your muscles stay WARM. My muscles never loosen when they are too cold. Underarmor's winter stuff is awesome for that.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thanks Reya:)

YOu are right staying warm definitely helps:) However, I've noticed in recent years that I cannot get loose at all. I'm just always stiff. So now its time to get on the meds again. I only need it for sports thats it......to be competitive. I don't even need it for my workout sessions. Only when I compete which is 3 times a week:)

Thank you!

Type of Myotonia: Unsure

Dong,

Try Flecanide Acetate. I had the same problem as you where Mexiletine worked for a while but then I had to increase the doses so much it got dangerous and had to come off it. Carbamezapine did nothing either.

I'm 19 and now take 100mg of Flecanide twice or three times a day and have done for the last 6 years and it is brilliant. It also works instantly so if you miss taking it for some reason or are having a bad day and need to take more, it starts having a relaxing effect after about 20 minutes. Flecanide isn't licensed for Myotonia in the UK but it is as an antiarrythmmic drug and might be easier to get hold of in the US. Definitely worth a try, you said you play basketball, I play netball so pretty similar and really struggle without flecanide to the point where I stopped playing at school. But I started playing again and after warming up and as long as I keep running around the myotonia is almost unoticable which is an awesome feeling!

Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you I emailed you:)

-Dong