Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Meeting others with MC

Daniel, I used to have very severe stiffness. I can control it to a large degree with diet, but it doesn't seem to work for everyone.

Mexitil is by far the most effective medication for the greatest number of people. Hopefully you'll see some positive results. You do need to monitor liver enzymes and get and EKG every 6 months or so. If you develop any heart arrhythmias you need to stop and see your doctor.

Do you have other family members with myotonia? Usually the stiffness affecting eyes, tongue, swallowing, etc. is the dominant form or Thomsen's.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Meeting others with MC

A lot of the change has to do with your activity level, NOT age. Activity level drops, myotonia increases, you think it's age, you drop activity level more...

My grandmother quit her job because her diagnosed myotonia got so bad when she was in her 50s because she was told to rest to make it better. Since learning about myotonia, my mother has "cured" most of what she thought was arthritis (she's in her 50s now) by working or massaging muscles selectively. Chronic spasms can cause joint dysfunction which acts much like arthritis.

I'm terrified of having reduced mobility when I age! As long as I can work my muscles, the pain will be okay.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's