Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Interest in muscle-specific weight-bearing exercises?

Jan:

I have not been checked for Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome but I would be surprised if I had it. It's interesting though, of the people with myotonia causing disorders I've communicated with, which is just a handful of people, three have other relatively unusual disorders as well.

I'm not sure if it is statistically significant, but I wonder if people with CLCN1 or SCN4A mutations might have more disease causing mutations in general due to descending from a gene pool that experienced something similar to that which has occurred in Finland, where they have the found effect and a large number of genetic disorders due to a small founding gene pool, isolation, rapid population expansion, and a population bottleneck.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Re: Interest in muscle-specific weight-bearing exercises?

Mine aren't misshapen, I don't think. I'm pretty sure it's just the @#$@#@ relaxin releasing early + the spasms. My shoulders subluxate when I spasm, too. :P Even without relaxin. I'll talk to the orthopedist about it after I have the baby, though.

I'll put something up this week, video-wise! I do shoulderblades + shoulders together when I exercise.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's