Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stem cell transplant

I had a stem cell transplant (for leukemia) several years ago and noticed a dramatic change. I was able to get up from a chair without holding on to something and was able to walk without stretching first. The doctors had no explanation and to make matters wrose they did not want to take the time to see what may have changed. My condition has reverted to where it was before the transplant but I did enjoy several years without the full impact.

Type of Myotonia: becker

Re: stem cell transplant

That's really interesting. You might want to contact the MDA's research department:

Grants Manager
MDA Research Department
3300 E. Sunrise Drive
Tucson, AZ 85718
(520) 529-2000
(520) 529-5454 (fax)
grants@mdausa.org

There might be a researcher in touch with them who would like to do a study on other patients who have had stem cell transplants. It's probably a bit too drastic to do for routine treatment, but it could be the foundation for future treatment.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: stem cell transplant

Don:

I don't know much about stem cells at this time, but I do know they frequently try to coax them into the type of cell they want them to become before they inject them. I think a lot of things can affect the severity of the myotonia, but I couldn't even begin to speculate in this instance, except to say, maybe it shifted something with your biochemistry.

You might try e-mailing some researchers. I doubt they will have much of an answer but they might find it interesting.

Type of Myotonia: Becker