Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mexitilline is no more as helpful as it was, any suggestions for what I can try

Dear All,

Mexitilline is no more as helpful as it was, I tried felecainide however i bacame worser, any suggestions please
I am now taking 600 mg of Mexitilline

Thanks

Type of Myotonia: MC

Re: Mexitilline is no more as helpful as it was, any suggestions for what I can try

Here is a list of the medications used to treat myotonia congenita:

Mexiletine (Mexitil) - this seems to be the most effective for the most people. This is an oral version of lidocaine and is used to treat heart arrhythmias. You need a full cardiac workup as well as monitoring.

Flecainide (Flecaine) - not quite as effective but gives some relief for most people. Also used to treat heart arrhythmias.

Acetazolamide (Diamox) - effective for many people. This is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor that affects pH and acts as a diuretic. It is often used to treat high altitude sickness. It is one of the main treatments periodic paralysis.

Phenytoin (Dilantin) - one of the oldest treatments for MC. Primarily used as an anti-seizure medication. Works well for some people.

Carbamazepine (Tegretol)- another anti-seizure medication. Seems to work well for certain mutations. I do NOT recommend this drug because of the nature of the mental side effects.

Lamotrigine (Lamictal) - I don't have much feedback on the effectiveness of this medication. It is an anti-seizure medicine and is also used to treat bi-polar disorder and depression. Some doctors in Europe are starting to prescribe this in place of mexiletine.

Quinine Sulfate - this is another very old treatment for MC. It used to be very inexpensive in America until the FDA required drug companies to pay millions to recertify. Normally used to treat malaria. It's found in quinine water, but the US has started regulating it to the point that the amount in something like Canada Dry is so small it would have a negligible effect.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's