Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
backe ache???

hi everyone,
just wondering if any of you have experianced back ache. i always have but until recently, it has only been mild, but now it gets so bad that im having to take calpol for it, which i normally only do for my legs and arms. ive been seeing a phisio/massargeist and while he's doing it, it feels better, but afterwards it just goes back to how it was. sometimes by back is so sore that i can barly move my arms as it effects my shoulders and i struggle to write at school.

i have a special NHS bed with memory foam over the top, but even though it helps i still get aches. when i put my electeric blanket on it helps, but again in the moring im just as bad. i would appreciate if someone could give me any ideas at all of what i could do to help this.

thank you,
paige

Type of Myotonia: becker

Re: backe ache???

In terms of joints or disk problems, no. But the muscles in my back tend to fatigue easier than others.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Agonizing ones, yes. My grandmother's were so bad she was forced to retire early, in fact.

For me, part of the cause was a need for orthodics. Once I had prescription orthodics, my entire body stopped cramping as much.

Second, a comfortable sleeping position helps. So does sleeping with heat at night.

Third, the occasional massage therapy appointment helps break up the bad areas.

Fourth--the BIG one--is exercise, TARGETED at those @$#@#$ cramping back muscles. This helps SO much. For the lower back, it's back extensions. For the shoulder blades, hand weights.

I will try to get a video up tomorrow of what I've been doing recently. I just found the plug for the camera!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

hi reya. thanks for replying to me. that video would be great! thank you so much! void(0);

HI Thanks reya and jenna for your advise.
paige void(0);

Hi Paige,

My back pain has been so bad, especially after I fell down the steps and broke my foot (because I fell down the steps on my back). Plus, the orthotic boot didn't help as I was lopsided and that caused undue stress and pain to my back and hip. I recently had x-rays done on my lower back and they told me I have degenerative disk disease and I should go to physical therapy. I have an HMO right now and the place that I am capitated to is impossible to get in and it's just a major pain to get there. So, I have muscle relaxers, but I can't take them during the day, obviously, so I have been taking ibuprofen and naproxyn sodium (not together).

I started looking up exercises for lower back pain on the internet. If I find any good ones, I'll let you know!

hi rolma,
thanks loads for replying! and yeah that would be great! it's weird, last week i hurt my leg ( due to MC) and my back pain went! in fact it was like MC wasnt there, But now im better my MC is even worse. my back is always sore and i have to take medicine nearly everyday. (just ibuprofen and paracetamol). so yeah i wonder if when you hurt yourself it gets rid of MC?!
from Paige