Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Helping Others ?

Hi Kev,
yes i have loads of embarrassing stories about not helping others, but il tell you the worst one/
i was at school, (secondary) and i was walking past to get to my seat, but went stiff and fell into another pupil carrying some papers. you can guess what happened next. they went everywhere!! the girl went down to pick them up, and looked at me as if to ask me to help her, but of course i knew if i bent down 1) i wouldn't be able to get back up again and 2) i probably fall over, so i stayed standing. the girl gave me a dirty look, picked up the papers and went of talking to her mates, telling them all about the girl, (me), who wouldn't help her. i felt so bad!

the problem i think with MC is that unless people pay intense attention to you, they don't see that there is anything wrong with you! sometimes it gets on my nerves because i'l get people coming up to me at break asking why i get to go early to lunch, ( i have a medical card for my MC) and its not like i can go into a long conversation about iron channels, is it? so yeah, it can make you feel really bad! void(0);

Type of Myotonia: becker

My point exactly Kerry (or is it Paige ?) , that you look fir and healthy enough to help yet arent quite

Type of Myotonia: Beckers

Yes, I've been there before. Sometimes I have gotten up and helped the person. They watched me walk stiff; I told them I have a muscle disease and then it wasn't so bad, but there have been plenty of times where I just sat there, kind of put my head down, and felt horrible about it.

Sometimes I am just too tired to get up and help someone do something physical. I think in my mind that they are just going to have to deal with it, but I still feel pretty bad. There are other times when I am too embarrassed to get up and walk in front of the person--can't be strong all of the time.

I guess I just chalk it up to sometimes life is unfair and sometimes life does just kind of suck. It is the reality of my life that I have a muscle disease, so I just have to deal with it.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens