Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 504

I somewhat have to disagree with some of the posts in reply to the 504 question. First I work at a school and 2nd my daughter (7th grade now)has been on a 504 since Kindergarten, which her teacher actually recommended. In the lower grades they sit on the floor a lot. Her teacher noticed that when the children were told to get off the floor, put there folders in their boxes and go sit at their table all of the other children would be sitting at their table and my daughter was still trying to get off the floor. So, one accommodation that was written in her 504 was to have a chair instead of sitting criss-cross on the floor. Another thing that we had written into her plan was extra time to take notes. Extra time for passing in the hall and most importantly help when there is a fire drill or lockdown which applies for drills and for actual events. All of her teachers are aware of her muscle stiffness. She gets extra help in the pool when they have swimming because she becomes very stiff and her tongue becomes stiff so she almost sounds drunk when she talks. She has a pass to take the elevator instead of the stairs. Other than that she pretty much does everything the other kids do. She is in an intermediate PE class as her teachers did not feel that she would be safe in a regular PE class - especially in the girls locker room with 300 other kids. Oh also in Middle school they have lockers and they make sure she has an inside locker so that she does not get shoved while trying to bend down and get her books out of the bottom of her locker. So far she has not had an issue with being teased. We have always been very open about her MC with staff and students. If her friends or acquaintances ask about her muscle stiffness we tell them. She is very accepting of her condition and she knows she can work though most situations. Now that she is older I feel that she has learned her limitations and is able to advocate for herself and if she has troubles that she can't deal with I will always be here for her. That is about all I can come up with for now. Hope this helps.

Type of Myotonia: Beckers