Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Day in the Life of Myotonia Congenita

Two flights of stairs sounds like an awful lot. I think about that and it makes me cringe. And I feel for your daughter with the bus steps--those were the worst.

But every time we walk those steps and they don't beat us we get stronger.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Reading the story about the day in life of MC makes me think about the fact that I've had it easy with my condition. I never had too much trouble in getting out of bed in the morning or going up a couple of stairs. But if there were like half a dozen of steps or more would that have been quite an ordeal. Especially in school when we would go upstairs in group. I always had to leave behind so I wouldn't look like an idiot in front of my classmates. Especially in elementary school where they wouldn't understand when I told them that I was "stiff". At the time I myself didn't know what was wrong with me nor did my parents.

It was only after 7th grade when I went to see the school's nurse and told her that I thought there was something wrong with me. She arranged a meeting to a neurologist and then I got the diagnosis. But I can manage quite good in normal life. I am 25 years old and I do pretty laborious work for a living as a carpenter and I can manage my condition and so can my co-workers, because I have told them that I had to stretch before lifting something heavy and they understand that.

I fear that if my wife and I ever have the joy of having kids they would get the same condition that I have and would have to go trough the same ordeals I had. But at least i will know if they are experiencing trouble moving around and give my full support and understanding for them. It is terrible time for a child if he doesn't know the reason for him being different than others. My children won't have that problem.

That's great Ville that you have learned how to manage your co-workers doing carpentry. I used to deliver pizzas and then rehabbed houses, so I know how difficult that can get at times.

Also I think if your kids have MC, and you provide them the love you talk about, that will give them the strength to take on any challenge.