Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Topical gel at dentist

Hi Jan,
I saw the dentist this week to have my teeth cleaned. A new assistant who is actually a dentist too, suggested a topical gel, since my teeth are so sensitive. I wasn't thinking and agreed to it. Could this gel have had lidocaine in it? I have had a weird feeling at the top of my head on the left side, some pain in my chest, and this morning my whole jaw feels the way it does after being given novocaine and the novocaine is beginning to wear off. In otherwords, I can feel my finger touching my face, but the sensation is dull. There was chest tightness even before I went to the dentist, and there has been nausea since visiting the dentist. I thought I had flu and took oscillococcinum for flu symptoms, which has helped completely with the nausea and chest tightness. Now I'm totally confused and wondering if I'm not experiencing a reaction to lidocaine, or even early symptoms of heart attack or stroke!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Re: Topical gel at dentist

Mary, the topical gels contain either lidocaine or benzocaine. Based on your past experiences you probably have a sensitivity to them. They wouldn't have epinephrine which could worsen myotonia, but many people are allergic to "caine" drugs.

This is a list of potential side effects from benzocaine gel. I would call the dentist's office tomorrow and get the name of the product so you can see what anesthetic was in it and wear a Medic Alert bracelet or necklace with that listed as an allergy. You might want to get your blood count checked, too.

Jan

Benzocaine topical used in the mouth or throat may cause a life-threatening condition in which the amount of oxygen in your blood stream becomes dangerously low. This condition is called methemoglobinemia (met-HEEM-oh glo-bin-EE-mee-a) and it may occur after only one use of benzocaine or after several uses.

Signs and symptoms may occur within minutes or up to 2 hours after using benzocaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Topical Anesthetic Dental Gel) in the mouth or throat. GET EMERGENCY MEDICAL HELP IF YOU HAVE:

• headache, tired feeling, confusion;

• fast heart rate;

• feeling light-headed or short of breath; and

• pale, blue, or gray appearance of your skin, lips, or fingernails.

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction while taking benzocaine topical: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Stop using benzocaine topical and call your doctor at once if you have any of these other serious side effects:

• headache, weakness, dizziness, breathing problems, fast heart rate, and gray or bluish colored skin (rare but serious side effects of benzocaine);

• severe burning, stinging, or sensitivity where the medicine is applied;

• swelling, warmth, or redness; or
oozing, blistering, or any signs of infection.

Less serious side effects of benzocaine topical may include:
• mild stinging, burning, or itching where the medicine is applied;

• skin tenderness or redness; or

• dry white flakes where the medicine was applied.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's