Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ambilical hernia

Hello everyone. Does anyone else get ambilical hernias. We all know what happens to our stomach muscles when we sneeze and I guess thats what causes it. I have had two hernia operations in 10 years

Type of Myotonia: thomsems

Re: ambilical hernia

Craig, I haven't seen any information about umbilical hernias, but inguinal hernias (lower and on each side of abdomen)are fairly common in myotonia. Dr. Peter Harper noted it in myotonic dystrophy, and my two daughters with MC had to have hernia repairs when they were about 10. I've heard from several people who have needed surgery.

With an inguinal hernia there is a weakness in the abdominal muscles which allows a protrusion of the contents of the abdomen. There is a bulge that is noticeable from coughing, straining or standing up. This can become dangerous if part of the blood supply for the intestines gets trapped in the bulging area.

Even if the bulge is only one one side, our doctors told us the weakness is also on the other side and both need to be repaired at the same time.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Jan:

Funny you should mention inguinal hernias. The muscles in my lower abdomen tend to be more prone to "paramyotonia" and bouts of hyperexcitability, and can contract very hard when I cough or turn in bed. A few days ago I did one or the other....I don't remember, and pulled one of those muscles in the process. It hurt when I walked and I was worried it was going to develop into a hernia, but so far so good.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

hi craig, ive just been reading your comment and had to ask my mum what a herina was. anyway, did your doctor tell you MC caused this or agravated it? because now i am seriously worried! if you don't mind me asking, how old are you? because im only 12 so i was just wondering if they might come when your older because even now my stomach cramps are really bad. and also, what type of MC do you have? i have becker so i was wondering if it makes a difference.
thank you, paige.

Type of Myotonia: becker

Hi Paige. First off I am 59 and worked in manual labour all life. The hernia I have could have been caused by the heavy lifting I have done all my life and by the mc as well. Doctors are not sure. Don't worry not everyone with mc gets a hernia later in life. I hope this helped. craig

Type of Myotonia: thomsens

hi thanks for replying, it really helped.
from paige

Type of Myotonia: becker

I was so happy to see this post. Although I'm sorry for the suffering that anyone has had to deal with. I am 52 and felt as though my stomach muscles have been terribly affected by my MC, along with three (large babies) pregnancies and one abdominal surgery 10 years ago. This past September I had paraumbilical hernia repair surgery. It was awful. And now all these months later it hurts worse then before the "repair". My Doc also found two other hernia's while she was in repairing the one. And, I also now feel another possible hernia on my lower right abdominal wall. I'm beginning to think my abdominal muscles are terribly weakened. :( And, the BMC has added to all the pain I'm experiencing more and more. Are we more susceptible to abdominal hernias?

Type of Myotonia: Becker's MC