Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how to spot a hernia?

hi everyone, PLEASE HELP! i have just read jan's and craig's messages and now am very worried. i tryped in the trype of herina that jan's is it children had when they were ten? and anyway, im very scared. i am 12 now and have very bad stomach cramping so i was wondering if anyone knows how to spot a herina, and the syptoms. thank you.

paige

Type of Myotonia: becker

Re: how to spot a hernia?

Paige,

Inguinal hernias related to myotonia seem to show up pretty early (around 5-10 years of age). If you don't have symptoms yet, then most likely you never will.

An inguinal hernia is a bulge and they occur on either side of the lower abdomen (a scar from the surgery would be so low it would be covered by a bikini). The bulge feels mushy and can be pushed back into the abdomen with pressure from the outside. It's from a weakness in the abdominal wall.

Stomach pains and cramping would not be related to this type of hernia. If you have constant stomach issues you might want to get checked for celiac disease and lactose intolerance. Those are the two main causes in younger people (they are not related to MC).

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's