Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need Suggestions of Diet for Myotonia.

Dear Lois,
> Thanks for your Reply.
I'm Very happy to hear those positive replies from you.
Hope those will help me to have a positive vision over the world.
I'm sure to be in touch with the person Venkat, whom you have referred.

Thanks again.
"ll get back to you with some positive feed backs.

Regards
- RAJA

Type : Becker's

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Hi Raja - I am presuming, since you noted Venkat's name, that he did contact you? So, I hope you get a chance to talk with/message with him. I think he's such a nice person, and he may help you feel so much more at ease with yourself! lois

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

Raja:

If you do indeed have Becker MC, while it might make the myotonia temporarily worse, you might try walking for 20-40 minutes at a brisk pace everyday. Also if you are overweight, you should attempt to lose it. Over the course of 6 months to a year, you might see a decrease in the severity of the myotonia. As Jan said, be careful not to push against the myotonia. Wait for your muscles to relax before you try to move again. That alone might eventually lead to a notable decrease in the severity.

There is medication. The most effective medication for Thomsen and Becker MC seems to be Mexiletine, but you must be monitored by a cardiologist while starting the medication and while on it. It's a heart medication and can cause life threatening problems if not used carefully. There are other medications available but I'm not as familiar with them. They can all have intolerable side effects, and many people with MC find it's better to manage their condition with lifestyle.

Can you describe the nature of your weakness a little more? Is this something you wake up with? Or does it come on in the middle of something? Does it seem to be temperature dependent? Or does it seem to come on after doing something strenuous? Is it always accompanied by increased myotonia?

Also, how understanding are people in your area about disabilities? If they are generally understanding you might just try talking to them a bit about it if they notice your symptoms.

Dear guys,
I am so glad to share this with you all..
I'm Not sure about this. Pls give me back your suggestions..
From March'15 I'm Regularly eating an Apple in the Morning & Having Minimum 2 cups of Green tea.
For the Past one week, I'm Seeing lot of changes in my stiffness.
My stiffness has reduced a lot & Even i can get up from the bed easily, (Stiffness still there for taking the first step after getting up)
I'm Not sure whether this is because having these two regularly or the hot climate (Summer season has started here in India)prevailing here..

Kindly share your suggestions..

Regards,
Raja..

Hello, Raja
I don't have Becker's but do have myotonia and my Dr. suggested I take the supplement Magnesium Citrate every day. Magnesium helps with muscle movement. I find it very helpful and take it every day.
Cheers

Type of Myotonia: DM1