Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mexiletine side effects.

Hi,
As I mentioned earlier, our son Joshua, 9, has starten taking Mexiletine, 150 mg once a day. He started about three weeks ago and has done really well. For the first week there was a marked improvement, he was running up stairs like all the other children in class! The stiffness has come back a little bit but the main thing is the feeling of nausea, and for the last couple of days he has felt a bit off with fever. Related or not, we always notice he gets stiffer just before and during fever/flue times. We know we must stay in contact with our doctor but would like to know from you who are on the medicine how you felt in the beginning like the firsth month or so. Our doctor mentioned that we should contact him after a month to see if the dosage should increase. I understand from reading on the net that stomach upsets are common side effects. And that increasing dosage often has to be done slowly until you find 'your' dose. Unfortunately the capsules cannot be broken, to be taken half in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Anyone?

//stefan

Type of Myotonia: Beckets

Re: Mexiletine side effects.

Stefan,

I don't know what strengths you have available in Sweden. This is the prescribing information for Mexitil made by Teva Pharmaceuticals in the US:

Mexitil

I can't see anything that says the capsules are time-release, so it might be possible to have your pharmacist make up a liquid from the powder and create any strength you need.

40% of people who take Mexitil/mexiletine have nausea, vomiting or heartburn. It should always be taken with a meal or with antacid. Again, you might want to discuss this with your pharmacist.

I'm glad he's seeing some improvement!

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's