Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paralysis

Is it possible to get paralysis, like the one you can get with Hyper/Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis when you have MC?
Sometimes I can wake up being paralysed in similar way as those with HPP.

I found this video... This seems to be a similar attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbP9VhaREO0

Type of Myotonia: ?

Re: Paralysis

On occassion....usually when I wake up without having not gotten enough sleep for a few days in one week, or if I've become overheated at some point in my sleep...at least I think that's what causes it, I can wake up extremely extremely weak where I feel like lead melded to the mattress. It seemed to happen more if I woke up during the last two to four hours of my sleep cycle....I'm a night person so I get the heaviest and most important sleep near the end of my cycle.

Before I had genetic testing that confirmed Becker MC, I had wondered if perhaps I was experiencing some form of periodic paralysis.

I don't know that much research has been done on CLCN1 mutations and potassium regulation. The doctor had been willing to give me a standing order to get my potassium levels checked during one of these attacks, but the question always remained on how to actually get to the lab during one of them to have my blood drawn. Additionally, I've read that during hypo or hyperkalemic attacks, serum potassium levels might appear normal. It's the potassium levels inside of the muscle cells that are the issue.

The attacks seem to occur much less frequently when I am able to get enough sleep and actually let my sleep cycle finish without it being disturbed towards the end. It also seems to help if I turn the air conditioner on an hour or so before I go to sleep if we have been having a hot spell.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

That's interesting about the heat. Excessive perspiration is a cause of hypokalemia. We seem to be very sensitive to changes in either direction.

Some other causes are low magnesium (which can occur when muscles have been overfiring) and high insulin which is the one that affects me the most. Use of inhalers for asthma can also cause severe myotonia followed by weakness.

It is a problem to get to a lab when you have a hard time moving :-) People with periodic paralysis have been begging for a meter for ages that will give an instant reading, but so far nothing is available. Another test for low potassium is an EKG, but again, unless you call the paramedics you have to get to a doctor's office.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Jan:

I usually don't sweat very much in my sleep. I kind of just think it's a collimation of the MC with a sleep disorder I have, and maybe some autonomic dysregulation issues. But whatever it is, it's very debilitating, and that's not even half of my problems.

Type of Myotonia: Becker