Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paralysis

That's interesting about the heat. Excessive perspiration is a cause of hypokalemia. We seem to be very sensitive to changes in either direction.

Some other causes are low magnesium (which can occur when muscles have been overfiring) and high insulin which is the one that affects me the most. Use of inhalers for asthma can also cause severe myotonia followed by weakness.

It is a problem to get to a lab when you have a hard time moving :-) People with periodic paralysis have been begging for a meter for ages that will give an instant reading, but so far nothing is available. Another test for low potassium is an EKG, but again, unless you call the paramedics you have to get to a doctor's office.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Re: Paralysis

Jan:

I usually don't sweat very much in my sleep. I kind of just think it's a collimation of the MC with a sleep disorder I have, and maybe some autonomic dysregulation issues. But whatever it is, it's very debilitating, and that's not even half of my problems.

Type of Myotonia: Becker