Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: back ache

Paige:

I agree with Jan that the cold feet might be due to Reynaud's. I have this. It's caused by an overreaction to the cold, which causes blood vessels to spasm shut. It can also be brought on by stress. It most often affects the fingers, toes, feet, and I've heard it can affect the nose.

Once your feet get cold, socks probably won't work because socks and blankets can only work to warm a person up if warm blood is flowing. The socks or blanket slows the flow of the heat away from the body. With Reynaud's, once the blood vessels close, there isn't any heat to retain. When my feet get cold, the only way for me to warm them up is to usually stand in the bathtub and run hot/warm water over my feet and lower legs for a few minutes. Then I have to dry them off before they get cold again, and then get under some warm blankets.

Occasionally I can warm them up by making my upper body hot, but it takes a lot longer. Last night, I had a fever and was burning up from the waist up, but my feet were still ice cold.

Type of Myotonia: Becker