Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: myotonia congenita

I am 12 years old. I have not been tested for myotonia, but feel the same symptoms that many describe. This disease holds me back in the sports I like to play, but my friends are very supportive and I still can. Practicing tricks and moves in my spare time help make up for being slow. I would suggest not giving up and trying for what you want to do.

Type of Myotonia: unknown

Neil:

You should tell your doctor you would like to see a neurologist and have an EMG done. This is a test where they listen to the signals of your muscles. If you have a disorder that causes true myotonia, and you have symptoms the day they do the EMG, then it will probably show up. From there, they can determine the exact type by doing a DNA test on a sample of your blood.

If you do have a myotonia causing disorder then it's important your doctors know because people with myotonia causing disorders like myotonia congenita, can't have certain medications that are often used for surgery or in emergencies where the person has to be intubated. One of these medications is called succinylcholine, though it has a few other names as well. Doctors need to be prepared to use an alternative in people with myotonia causing disorders.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

When I was growing up with MC it was a very lonely, and occassionaly scary, time. It was not until the internet became generally available that I was able to talk to other people with the same condition.

I would encourage young people like Emil to make the most of forums like this learn as much as they can about MC, share their experiences with others, and learn to cope.

MC remains a difficult condition to deal with but there's no reason to be alone anymore. Good luck to all of you.

Type of Myotonia: Becker's

hey emil!
My names Paige and I'm 12, and I have becker type MC. I found out when i was 8, but my mum knew since i was little. Like you, i used to get teased for not being able to do things like running ect;. It does get better though, as you learn to live with it, and hopefully you will find that people won't tease you as much now you know you have MC.
At my school, all the teachers know about me and so do the kids, however i do always feel self-conscious when walking up stairs and getting up from chairs and the floor and things.

from paige :)

Type of Myotonia: becker

Emil, everyone has nightmares of being chased and they can't run, that's not specificto us. It is normal :)

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's