Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Muscle burning, cramping and weakness

Yes, he did a NCS also and it was all normal. He said the were no nerve problems. I had been experiencing what felt like nerve issues but they have gotten better since working with the PT and using the medications. So perhaps there had been some nerve impingement that is now beter. In any case, there was no evidence of a nerve conduction problem (he tested this for the spine also) or damage on the NCS, which is good news. He tested multiple areas of both arms for both the EMG and the NCS. He said the the EMG showed a chronic myopathy. He said that the "spent" muscles had gotten burned out by the MC. When I went for the EMG I did not feel any stiffness. I can tell when the MC is more active. At times I don't feel it at all, so it is interesting that consistent with not feeling the MC symptom of stiffness, nothing showed up on the EMG. As you noted, it may have been the medication used to relax my muscles. Do you know if myotonia will show up on an EMG when a person is taking mexilitine?

I am wondering how common it is for people with MC to have the burning, cramping and weakness I mentioned, especially later in life. It was not until I got to this site and had my genetic testing that things I was experiencing started to add up and make sense. It seems that someone should talk to the neurology God's and have them update their professional info!

I will look into the supplement you mentioned.

Linda

Type of Myotonia: Thomsens

Re: Muscle burning, cramping and weakness

My son was diagnosed with MC today, waiting for a follow up appt. reading on here it seems cramp is a key symptom is this correct?

Type of Myotonia: Not sure yet