Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
what is the difference between myotonic dystrophy and congenita please

I made a gene test and was classified by having myotonia conginata, however I feel I am more to myotonia dystorophy symptoms, week muscles and some curve in my lower right leg and fast heart beatings. The stiffness is more with stress and unstable sleepness.

Can you please tell me the difference between them, as I read that dystorophy is more severe and may be can not be able to walk without a help after that.

Also I am takig mexitiliine 2 200mg, right now I feel mexitiline is doing nothing, should I increase the dosage or what, please any suggestion

Type of Myotonia: conginata

Re: what is the difference between myotonic dystrophy and congenita please

I made a gene test and was classified by having myotonia conginata, however I feel I am more to myotonia dystorophy symptoms, week muscles and some curve in my lower right leg and fast heart beatings. The stiffness is more with stress and unstable sleepness.

Also I am having the left side more stronger than the right side, especially my legs, so whenever i start to stand up, i always lift on my left leg, as if i made it on my right leg i will fall down.

Can you please tell me the difference between them, as I read that dystorophy is more severe and may be can not be able to walk without a help after that.

Also I am takig mexitiliine 2 200mg, right now I feel mexitiline is doing nothing, should I increase the dosage or what, please any suggestion

Peter, that's good news that you have myotonia congenita and not myotonic muscular dystropny. MMD is progressive and involves many systems and organs including the heart, liver and GI tract. The only thing we have in common with it is the stiffness of the muscles.

The usual dose for myotonia congenita seems to be 200-300 mg of mexiletine three times a day. But you do need to have your heart monitored closely. Depending on your particular mutation or mutations, you may respond better to another medication like Diamox, Dilantin or Quinine Sulfate.

If you have some symptoms of fast heart rate you might want to cut out all foods containing caffeine like coffee, tea, soft drinks with caffeine, etc. That can make a big difference. Adrenaline makes myotonia much worse which is why stress affects us.

Did you get your testing at Dr. Lehmann-Horn's lab in Ulm?

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

Thanks so much for your reply, no i made it in Koeln, not so famous but okay.

However I don't know, my muscles are so week especially the right part of my body, is that normal in myotonia conginata.

As for example when i stand up after siting a long time, i only stand on my left leg as I can not hold on the right leg until it is okay.

please is that normal.

Many Thanks

Peter, are you sure it wasn't paramyotonia congenita? That is a different ion channel disorder and can cause more weakness. It could also explain why the mexiletine isn't affecting you much.

Myotonia congenita is usually fairly symmetrical, so if you did feel some weakness, it would probably be pretty equal on both sides. Were you ever in an accident that injured your back? That would be a more likely reason for you to have the weakness in one leg. Also lesions in your brain or spine from viral infections in the past can do that. If you haven't already done so, I would ask your neurologist to do an MRI to see if there are some herniated discs that might be causing the problem.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's